Recipe swap shop

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Recipe swap shop

Post  theanorak on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 05:05

This isn't really a recipe, but it seems the best place to brag: for Christmas, Bryn bought me a popcorn maker (shaped like a duck!) which turns corn kernels into fluffy popcorn in about 50 seconds with no pans, oil or other fiddling. \o/

Expect to hear me munching on vent Smile

View user profile http://www.mysteriousbuttons.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alquiel on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 05:11

Ooh, am envious! I love popcorn, but I have to make it in the pan - one of my fave things is just to sprinkle it with salt and lots of black pepper!

(And duck shaped too, sheer win!)

Officer

View user profile http://nowiamtree.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Xethistar on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 11:49

For my next experiemnt, I shall be pouring chocolate fudge over popcorn. Hmmm is this the start of some sort of cake topping?
Xethistar

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Apythia

Back to top Go down

Post  theanorak on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 04:43

If nothing else, it sounds like a promising upgrade to rice crispie/cornflake squares.

Or you could use it as the base for an alternative cheesecake-type creation.

Or the ultimate decadent ice-cream sandwich.

Hmmm. Must grab some caramels and cream and give that a try.

View user profile http://www.mysteriousbuttons.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Asayanka on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 06:28

That sounds amazing! Fudge isn't very well known around here, so help me out: How do I store it and how long will it stay good? That is, if it lives long enough to be stored... Laughing
Asayanka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xethistar on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 12:39

Asayanka; I'm sorry but I've never been able to keep it for that long! Considering the ingredients though, I would keep it in the fridge / other cool place for about 2 weeks. If you're like me and tend not to weigh out your ingredients, a more buttery fudge will be more squidgy at room temperature. The difference between fudges and caramels is the temperature that it's made at, so if you are going to try this for the first time, do make sure you keep the temperature low or you'll end up with a grrrreat chocolate sauce.

Theanorak; you are making me thinking evil thoughts, how dare you mention cheesecake and then ice cream. Really, some people.

OK, I have to be in work at 4.30 in the am, so I have to pull myself away from here and stop thinking about chocolate based confectionary products.
Xethistar

Back to top Go down

Post  Xethistar on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 15:15

I lie, i've decided to stay up and play. To keep this post kinda on topic i am eating the most delish coffee panettone yule logg left over from the hols. It's got great big swirls of coffee flavoured caremel in it...
Xethistar

Back to top Go down

Mama Culina's Tiramisu

Post  Xethistar on Sat 15 Jan 2011, 06:01

OK, this is just the most amazing tiramisu. It's easy but requires many bowls!

You will need:

for the base:

1 packet of ladysfingers / sponge fingers (When hubby asked for these, he got directed to okra! *snicker*)
1 cup of strong, sweet as coffee: notes i like to pop about 4 to 6 teaspoons of sugar in the cupa and it is a cup you would drink, not USA measure)
1 cup tia maria / kaluha etc
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
a glass oven / serving dish - square / rectangles works best 'cos of the sponge fingers

for the topping:

the yolks from 4 large eggs
4 table spoons sugar
2 shots of your favorite spirit... perhaps more, maybe 4. None if you want to keep this tee total.
1 medium pot of whipping cream or double cream (about half a pint)
1 pot of marcapone (sainsbuggers pot size is perfect)
3 mixing bowls

Ok for the base place sponge fingers in a dish. Ideally the dish should take the whole packet and you shouldn't need to stack them. Mix the strong coffee, tia maria and vanilla together and pour over the spinge fingers, making sure that the mixture is poured evenly. Leave the sponge to soak this all up while you are making the topping.

Ok here is the part of manly bowls!

In one usse and electric whisk to whisk the egg yolks, fav spirit and sugar until the yolks turn pale. be patient, this can take some time. i would never attempt this with a hand whisk.
In another bowl whip the cream. make sure this is the biggest bowl you have! Half a teaspoon of sugar always helps with this. the cream should hold it peaks when you pull the whisk out.
In the third bowl beat the marscapone just enough to make it go softer.

Now you want to fold the egg yolk mix into the whipped cream, then whisk it together to bind it. Next add the marscapone. It needs to be folded in, then whisked, but be carefull not to over whisk. I often still have ickle lumps of marscapone in the mix, and would much rather have that than a topping that falls apart.

Ok, now just spoon this bowl of gorg-e-nous over the sponge base. You can sprink cocoa over the top to decorate if you like. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.

Hope you enjoy it. Please don't serve to pregnant ladies cos it has raw eggs in it.
Xethistar

Back to top Go down

Post  Daineiara on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 21:47

I was trying to decide what to bake this weekend and figured I'd share with you a couple of my favourite recipes. These are definitely worth foregoing a few immortal souls for! Warning: shameless use of the metric system. tongue

Mocca squares

base:
4 eggs
6 decilitres sugar
3 decilitres cafe au lait (instant works fine for non-purists)
9 decilitres flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons vanilla sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 decilitre melted butter

topping:

400 grams (7 decilitres) powdered sugar
1 decilitre cold coffee
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 teaspoons vanilla sugar
judicious amount of crushed hard mint chocolate candies

Whip eggs an sugar until fluffy, then carefully add the butter. Combine the dry ingredients and mix in in turns with the coffee. Line a deep baking tray with greaseproof paper (clothespins work wonders, unless you have about six hands) and pour in the batter. Bake in 200 C for about 15 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out dry when poked in, then let it cool while you work on the topping.

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and carefuly add in the cold coffee until you get a workable goop, then spread it on the cake. Let it settle for a moment and then cut into serviceable portions, chucking what isn't for immediate consumption into the freezer.

Cherchez le Fruit*

base:
4 eggs
1,5 decilitres sugar
1 decilitre potato flour
0,5 decilitre cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
0,5 teaspoon ground cinnamon

stuffing:
2 decilitre double cream
200 grams orange creamcheese (helps if you have a favourite beforehand, there are big differences in taste between brands; I prefer fairly sweet)
200 grams raspberries (frozen are fine)
~2 tablespoons sugar (to taste, use your own judgment)

250 grams marzipan (the colour of your choice)

Whip the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Combine the dry ingredients and mix in. Line a deep baking tray with a greaseproof paper and pour in evenly. Bake in 225 C for about 6-8 minutes. Upen on a greaseproof paper spinkled with sugar and let it cool (this helps rolling it in a minute).

Whip the cream and sweeten with sugar, then mix in the creamcheese. Set aside about a decilitre of this, to help coating it with the marzipan. Mix in the raspberries, and then spread on the base. Wrap into a tight roll (one may need to make this a few times, just to *cough* perfect the roll up).

Roll out the marzipan into a thin, cake-sized sheet. Coat the cake with the saved whipped cream/creamcheese mix, then apply the marzipan.

*I really do apologize for the name. Almost. It's a long story.

Daineiara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Asayanka on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 01:41

Ha! Thank you Daine for using deciliter! *hug* Swiss people use that, too, and my German Baker Boyfriend *glares@Aidan* thought that was silly. Ha! It isn't, see? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Asayanka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 02:30

Ok, I know what it means, SI units are good like that, but I have to say I have never seen the term decilitre used before. Anywhere. Ever.

Colt
Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daineiara on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 02:46

I'm never quite certain what measurements to use when in international company, as I'm sure there will always be someone left to google up a conversion table. ^^; However, the decilitre is alive and well over here. Laughing

Daineiara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Asayanka on Mon 07 Mar 2011, 10:33

So, I figured I share todays dinner with you:

There are baby potatoes, zucchini (or courgette), red onions, tomatoes, mushrooms. All mixed with olive oil, black pepper, rough sea salt and fresh rosemary. Yum Yum Yum!!!

Pop into the oven for about 30 minutes and roast. Perfect dinner while playing WoW. Very Happy

Asayanka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alquiel on Mon 07 Mar 2011, 10:53

Oooh! That looks really delicious! I'm about to cook bacon, mushrooms, leek, onion, garlic in a whitish sauce to go over pasta.

Officer

View user profile http://nowiamtree.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Esmerella on Sat 19 Mar 2011, 05:34

I apologise to Xethi in advance as both of these use bananas!

Banana and Walnut Cake

8oz Butter
8oz Caster Sugar
8oz S.R. Flour
2 Bananas
100g Walnuts
1 Tbsp Milk
1 Tsp Baking Powder
4 Eggs

Made like any basic cake. Mash the bananas and crush the walnuts then add to the rest of the mixture. I generally bake in a loaf tin but i don't think the tin matters. If your tin is the same size as mine (medium i think or normal size as I haven't found any others) then I half the mixture otherwise the tin is too full and the cake just burns. I cover with tin foil when the cake is nearly cooked to stop the top from burning. Oven is set to 180c/350F/gas mark 4. I've never actually timed how long it takes to cook but when there's no mixture on a clean knife when poked into the cake it's done. I will be happy to do step by step if needs be too Smile

Banana Flapjack

8oz Caster Sugar
8oz Butter/Marg
16oz Oats
2 Bananas
2 Tbsp Honey (optional)

Melt the butter/marg then mix with the sugar.
Mash the bananas and add to the butter and sugar along with the honey.
Mix in the oats making sure the mixture has fully covered all of the oats.
Grease a baking tray then spread the oaty mixture onto the tray, making sure its level and upto the edges!
Oven needs to be at 200c/400F/Gas mark 6. Can be done at 180c if prefered.
Cook until the edges are just starting to brown. Don't worry if the flapjack seems soft and squidgy it will harden when cooled but tastes sooo much yummier when warm Smile
Cut into desired sizes of square/shape(in the tin, a pallet knife or spatula)
Take out of the tray using said knife or spatula then enjoy warm or cold! (It's not often ours last until they are cold!)

For Xethi, the bananas can be swapped with whatever fruit you like! Smile
Esmerella

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sherise on Sat 19 Mar 2011, 08:50

Oh god, I love banana cake. *drool*
Sherise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content