Doctor Who

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Doctor Who

Post  Asayanka on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 05:11

Hey there Enthusiasts,

I gather there are a couple peeps amongst us who like Doctor Who as much as I do. Very Happy

Unfortunately, here in Germany they only ever showed the first two seasons of the New Series, starting with Christopher Eccleston and then David Tennant as the respective Doctors. I adored Mr. Eccleston, was a bit taken aback by Mr. Tennant at first but came to really like him.

My only means to see more of the Doctors is to get the DVD's from amazon UK. Which isn't a big deal. My question to you guys and gals - is it worth it? How does the series evolve in your opinion? I was heartbroken when Rose left at the end of season two - how's the new assistant? And what about the new Doctor in Season 5? I didn't like his picture at all, but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So - hit me up with your opinions!

Anka
Asayanka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Doctor Who

Post  Alquiel on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 06:05

If I remember rightly, Martha seemed to have a higher intellect than some previously, which was good. I don't think the chemistry was as good as Rose's had been. I um sort of stopped watching when Donna Noble appeared on the scene as I really don't get on with Catherine Tate, but I did watch the first couple of episodes of the newest one (our television still isn't sorted out, so we only watch the BBC iplayer episodes on the pc) and I thought he was superb, completely mad, and sort of reminded me of Tom Baker, but cuter, and more vulnerable. And his assistant, Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillan is superb. Definitely worth it for the Van Gogh episode alone.

Oh, while I remember, Cardiff has a small Dr Who exhibition, which is quite fun. I still don't feel right looking eye to eye with a Dalek.....

Officer

View user profile http://nowiamtree.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  theanorak on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 07:01

I don't know all the ins and outs, but this might be useful if it works outside the UK:
http://www.tvcatchup.com/

View user profile http://www.mysteriousbuttons.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Elphane on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 07:25

I am a HUUUUUUUGE Dr Who fan! Have been since the tender age of 7, I can remember being terrified by the Colin Baker and Sylvestor McCoy stories. My favourite Doctor of all time is Tom Baker, backin the early 80's, but the new series has charms of its own.

I liked Christopher Eccleston, though I was pissed he didn't stay more than one series. I would have liked to have seen or at least heard more about the 8th Doctor's regeneration into him as well, but hey, can't have everything. Then came David Tennant. Ohhhhhhh, David Tennant! I adored his Doctor, he made me laugh, and I cried like a baby at Rose's exit. Sad to say I loathed Martha with a passion. I don't know why, there was just something about her that I really didn't like. It might be the actress though, as I can't say I liked Freema Agyeman in anything else I have seen her in. I was a bit leery about Donna because I can't stand Catherine Tate's 'comedy' show, but I actually really liked her. was nice to have Ten with a companion who didn't moon over him and try and get into his pants for a change. Oh, yes, I should say I am not a big fan of the romance between him and companions, but them I am old school Doctor Who and it never happened in the old days! That said, I thought The Girl in the Fireplace was a lovely story, romance or no romance. We watch his last episodes in group at a friends house and there wasn't a dry eye in the room. "I don't want to go..." I don't want you to go either!!!

And the new Doctor.... Oh I thought he would be awful. I saw pictures of Matt Smith when it was announced he would take over, and I thought he would be terrible. I thought he looked weird and hated his hair, but then I saw the first episode of the new series... And I love him. I truely do love him. And have an odd crush on him even though I don't think he is that good looking. He is nuts, but still manages to come across as smart at the same time. And yes, I have a thing about Karen Gillan too (hey, I am am an equal opportunity kind of girl Razz), mmmmm, red hair.... ! That and she acts really well. Some of the episodes were genius, WW2 Daleks ftw! Though the new Daleks are too bright IMO, its like they are iDaleks or something. Just needs some Captain Jack Harkness and it will be perfect! The Van Gogh episode once again made me blub like a sissy, it was so lovely, yet so sad as nothing changed (don't think that will spoil anything). The series finale was amazing, and I am so pissed off that someone already stole Pandorica as a name on this server (And Gallifrey. And Riversong. Meh). Role on Christmas Special!!

And if any of you remember the old series, and the tv series Grange Hill, back in 2000 I went to a Doctor Who convention in Coventry, and ended up snogging Micheal Sheard in front of an audience for a joke. He was Mr Bronson in Grange Hill, and had various parts in Doctor Who. Oh, and he was Admiral Ozzel in The Empire Strikes Back (Vader kills him). And Hitler in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. People still talk about it aparantly. Not my finest moment I must say Razz
Elphane

View user profile http://elphane.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  theanorak on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 07:53

*boggle*

*boggles some more*

View user profile http://www.mysteriousbuttons.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Asayanka on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 08:01

Moraith, what you said totally did it for me - I HAVE to get the DVD's. Very Happy my boyfriend will hate me for it, since he likes the Doctor, too, but has trouble understanding the English version. Muahahaaaa.... Or... more simultaneous translation attempts on my part. Shocked

Ok - unfortunately, I've never got a chance to see any classic Doctor Who. Where do I have to start?

Oh, and Moraith - me, too, I cried so hard when Rose left and also the episode "The girl in the Fireplace". Oh boy, that one was brilliant and so touching! Ohohoh, I love Capt'n Jack! He is so brilliant!

@ Alquiel: I think I really need to come and visit Cardiff; the Exhibition alone would be worth it. Wink

@Ano: Thanks for the link. Too bad they only show life-streams. Crying or Very sad But will have an eye on it, I might be able to catch something interesting.
Asayanka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alquiel on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 08:15

I just found this on YouTube. Classic Dr Who episodes....And it's got some Tom Baker - Mask of Mandragora!!!

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=Ps0e32nFzs0&s=1

Officer

View user profile http://nowiamtree.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 15:31

buy it, watch it, love it

i really like the whole series!
Joe

View user profile http://www.joegamer.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Derfil on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 16:01

Christopher Ecclestone was brilliant and it sort of worked.

David Tennant started off good but was let down by some horrible script writing in the later series - I find Richard T Davies is a bit lke Storm Constantine. Great ideas but let down by giving away plots too early and rushing the endings. I did find that I enjoyed them more the second time round. Like Alquiel I loathe Catherine Tate due to the third rate comedy shows but actually started warming to Donna after a bit - better serious actress than comedienne.

Matt Smith - Missed many of them and trying to catch up but what I've seen I've thought is the best so far.
Derfil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top